Ergebnis 1 bis 25 von 59

Thema: RedHand

Moderator Cross Cult Forum Avatar von Amigo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RedHand

Wir arbeiten gerade am ersten Band von Kurt Busieks und Mario Albertis blutigem Fantasy-Spektakel REDHAND.

Erfreulicherweise sind die beteiligten Künstler sehr kooperativ und deshalb könnt ihr euch auf einen umfangreichen Anhang mit Skizzen, Entwürfen und Interviews freuen!

Hier schon mal eine kleine Kostprobe von Mario Albertis coolem Artwork. Er wird den ersten Band in Erlangen auf dem Comic-Salon signieren.

Mitglied Avatar von Moodswings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sieht gut aus...
    nur die Cover eurer Bände gefallen mir nicht so...

Mitglied Avatar von Mr. Klump
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Die Sketches sehen ja echt schonmal schick aus. Muss ich mal im Auge behalten.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zitat Zitat von Moodswings Beitrag anzeigen
    sieht gut aus...
    nur die Cover eurer Bände gefallen mir nicht so...
    Du meinst die RedHand-Bände? Das sind die Cover der Originalausgaben - da ist nicht viel Spielraum ...

Mitglied Avatar von Moodswings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jep genau die, wobei Nr. 2 etwas besser aussieht als die 1...

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ein paar Auszüge aus unserem E-mail-Interview mit Kurt Busiek. Die übersetzte Fassung könnt ihr dann in Redhand 1 nachlesen.

What's the greater concept behind the story of Redhand? Did you already had the story-idea in mind before talking with Humano or did you create it especially for Humano? Did they approach you or you them?

I'd been playing around with the story idea before I got involved with Humanoids. Quite simply, I've been a fan of heroic-fantasy stories for some time, and I wanted to do something where I could do the kind of thing I admired in the work of writers like Robert E. Howard and David Gemmell. I knew at that point that I'd never get to write Conan -- after all I figured that if anyone licensed the character again, they'd hire Roy Thomas, as well they should, and I'd happily read it, but they wouldn't need to look any farther than that. How little I knew.

Anyway, I'd created Redhand as a project I'd like to do someday, but had done nothing with it, when the fine folks at Humanoids contacted me and asked me to write something for the revived Metal Hurlant. I did a story for them, and we got along well enough that when they wanted to talk about a graphic-novel series, I was more than open to it.

Are you usually writing with the artists style in mind - in this case Mario Alberti? Why did you pick Mario in the first place as the artist for this book?

I find it hard to write without being able to visualize what the art will look like, so it's always easier and better, I think, to know who the artist will be and to write with their style in mind. As to Mario, he was a suggestion from Humanoids, but all they had to do was show me his art from Morgana, and I was sold. His work is rich, powerful and involving, and he makes his fantasy worlds really come alive, which was perfect for Redhand. He's also a friendly, open guy, and we had a lot of conversation back and forth over the internet while working on Redhand; he really got involved in building the world of the series.

One tiny example I'll mention -- I suggested that the people in Redhand's world ride around on some sort of mutant lizard-horse hybrid, but he cooked up these fantastic-looking mutated turtles, and said, How about these?" And it's nothing I would have thought of in a million years -- turtles? -- but they look wonderful, and it's one more element that makes the series and the world specific and unique. The books are full of touches like that.

Is Redhand your first cooperation with a European comicbook publisher? Are you familiar with the European comics scene?

Redhand is my first, aside from doing the "Hunter's Moon" story in Metal Hurlant, which was only 12 pages, and for the same publisher.

And I'd like to be more familiar with the European comics scene, but in order to do so, I think I'd at least have to re-study my high-school French, and with deadlines and family, there just hasn't been time for that. I did grow up reading English translations of Tintin and Asterix, and as a teenager I followed Moebius, Druillet and others in Heavy Metal. More recently, I've bought some European albums -- the Lumieres de L'Amalou series by Gibelin and Wendling, which is just gorgeous, the Pin-Up series by Yann and Berthet, Lewis Trondheim's work, and a fun series called Melusine by Clarke and Gilson. In some cases, I puzzle through them with a French-English dictionary, in some cases I can get English translations, and in some I just admire the art. Claire Wendling, for instance, is sensational.

Oh, and I've recently ordered Get A Life by Dupuy and Berberian, and an English translation of one of the Iznogoud albums, which I loved when I was a kid.

Do you know anything about the German comics scene? Probably not ...

Alas, no. But I'm always open to learning.

Do you think the American and the European (and also the Japanese) comics scenes will come closer together? Redhand is not the only "transatlantic" cooperation published by Humano. In my eyes it's a very fruitful idea to mix tradtions and styles.

I don't know. There are clearly books that cross over well, and many that just don't. The American comic book marketplace is so strongly focused on superheroes that it's hard for a lot of European work to get accepted here, which is a shame. But the manga revolution changed a lot of tastes and created a lot of readers for Japanese comics, so I wouldn't rule out something happening to make European comics stronger and more cherished over here. It'd be great if it happens.

In the meantime, it's good to see the books that do make it over the Atlantic, and I'm glad we Americans can produce some stuff that's welcome over on your side of the pond. And I'm glad of the cross-pollination we do get, whether it's Mario Alberti doing covers for DC or Joe Kubert drawing Tex: The Lonely Rider or new projects like Redhand, specifically designed to bring Americans to a European format, or vice versa.

Ultimately, I want all the good comics -- I don't care where they come from, I just want lots and lots of good stuff.

What's your background when it comes to the fantasy-genre? Are you a fan of fantasy-fiction or comics or art? If so: Which are your favorites?

I've been a fantasy fan since I read the Oz books, tales of King Arthur and books of Norse mythology as a child, and later graduated to Tolkein, Robert E. Howard and others. I'm a huge fan of the late David Gemmell, the British fantasy writer who created Druss the Legend and Waylander. In comics, I've been a big fan of Roy Thomas's Conan and liked Mike Grell's Warlord a lot -- and while I haven't been all that wild about most of the various Conan imitations, there are a lot of fantasy comics, ranging from Hellboy to Fables to Bone to Castle Waiting and many, many more, that are must-haves for me.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Und ein Auszug aus dem Interview mit dem ebenfalls sehr freundlichen Mario Alberti:

You have a great eye for impressive designs. Did you have special concepts in mind while developing the look of the chamber where Redhand is found, the tower of the council, cities, villages and landscapes?

Thanks! I always try to visualize something that could actually work, I need to have some kind of understanding of the machines, their function and their phisics to be able to make them look realistic. Behind Redhand's chamber there's a whole idea that would spoil a lot of the character's future developements if I tried to explain so I'll have to keep it for myself!
    For the villages I took some inspiration from african tribes, especially the Masai, while the idea of making the Council's Tower interiors look like the shell of a nautilus was Kurt's and I tried to work around that concept.
    I have to credit a recent discovery I made for the whole design of the modern city: "Blame" by japanese author Tsutomu Nihei, his architectures really blew me away and I tried to bring something of those into my own style.

Your creatures look very dynamic, fierce ... how do you achieve that?

Thanks again! I don't know if I really achieve that, surely not as often as I'd like, but I think that if there's any life and dynamics in my drawings I owe it mostly to Cavazzano and Pazienza, as strange as it may seem when speaking about monsters!
    I guess the best trick I have up my sleeve though, rather than with drawing skills, is with the choice of the shot when storyboarding: I always try to imagine that I have a camera and that I'm doing a movie, that's were I try to achieve the illusion of "flowing motion" between panels. We may say that the idea of the dynamics, the illusion of the movement in the scene, lies in the white spaces between panels: you can't see it but it's there.

Your coloring is made with photoshop?

Yes but I use also patterns I paint on paper or pictures I take with a digital camera, mostly of stones, leaves and the bark of trees.

You have a very unrealistic, very reduced color-palette - which is looking great! Whats the idea behind that?

The problem with photoshop is that you have millions of colors in your hands and that's a real mess! You can't achieve any coherence if you don't choose a palette beforehand. I try to imagine going to a color's shop and buy the hues I'll need to tell that story and stick to those, the fewer the better (Pantones are very expensive!).

Do you design the color in double pages or scenes? Do you use color with symbolism or intended moods in mind?

I always storyboard the pages in couples and consider a double page as a whole.
    Of course colors are the strongest tool I have to depict moods and to use symbolically but, having worked for years with black and white only, I think it can be more intriguing and interesting to try and achieve the same result only with two colors. It's just different techniques though...the most important thing is never to loose sight of what you need to communicate to the reader story-wise at any given time.

Can you give us a short synopsis of what we can expect in volume two and three of RedHand?

Volume two is based in a big city on the coast and will have Redhand working in its harbour at the beginning of the story, trying to find his place in the society but eventually being swept away by events in the form of a young and pretty lady-thief and a drunken magician. The profecy still hunts him and sooner or later he'll have to deal with that. There's less bloodshed than in book one and the backgrounds and the city have been real fun to imagine and draw...and we learn a lot more about the "gods" (by the way, there's a double page with a flashback about the "evil god" that I intended to be a tribute to the works of Sergio Toppi, in my humble opinion one of the greatest artists italian comics ever had).
    I'm still waiting to read book three's synopsis and I'm looking forward to it!

Mitglied Avatar von Milamber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerade fertig gelesen und kann nur sagen glückwunsch zu dem Titel! Ist eine wirklich interessante Story und macht Lust auf mehr. Das Ende fand ich dann doch auch etwas überraschend, hätte eher damit gerechnet dass es auf soetwas wie in die Sieben Samurai hinausläuft und Redhand mit den Dorfbewohnern gegen die Sklavenjäger antritt.
    Klasse auch die beiden Interviews am Ende. Aber man ist ja nichts anderes gewöhnt von euch

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freut mich, dass dir der Band gefallen hat. Wenn unsere ersten Alben-Titel gut laufen, gibt es natürlich Nachschub.

Mitglied Avatar von eis
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gerade durchgeblättert und begeistert. Detailreiche Bilder die mich an " Die Chronik der Unsterblichen" erinnern und ein hartes Ende des ersten Teils, das so extrem ist, das es von Jodorowsky sein könnte. Aber Redhand ist feiner erzählt und nicht so auf Splattereffekte aus, wie z.B. Jodorowskys "Meta Barone".

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ich finde Albertis Zeichnungen auch ziemlich genial. Bei dieser Gelegenheit weise ich gerne darauf hin, dass er an unserem Stand auf dem Comic-Salon "Redhand" signieren und natürlich auch Zeichnungen anfertigen wird. Da er hier noch nicht sooo bekannt ist, wird er sich sicher besonders ins Zeug legen.

Wir "leihen" ihn übrigens für zwei Signierstunden auch an die Kollegen von Carlsen aus, an deren Stand er "Morgana" signieren wird. "Morgana" ist übrigens auch sehr zu empfehlen - die beiden Serien kann man aber nicht richtig vergleichen, da "Morgana" ungleich komplexer und "komplizierter" ist, als das eher filmische und archaische "Redhand".

Auf jeden Fall freut sich Mario schon sehr, bei seinem Besuch in Deutschland, seine beiden aktuellen Serien promoten zu können.

Junior Mitglied
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ich freue mich schon total auf Mario Alberti und wollte in dem Zusammenhang mal fragen ob Mario Alberti, wie Charlie Adlard auf dem letzten Comic-Salon, auch seine Originale anbieten wird.
    Wird eventuell Melinda Gebbie ihre Originale anbieten?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wir können Mario ja fragen. Ich könnte mir schon vorstellen, dass er Originalseiten mitbringt. Was bei Melinda aber wohl nicht der Fall sein wird, da sie selbst für eine Ausstellung keine Originale zur Verfügung stellen wollte. Sie befürchtet, dass Lost Girls Originalseiten im britischen Zoll hängen bleiben könnten. Zudem ist Lost Girls praktisch ihr Lebenswerk - und Sie möchte sich wohl jetzt noch nicht von den Seiten trennen.

Mitglied Avatar von Alandor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Redhand jetzt auch endlich gelesen und was soll ich sagen? Es ist einfach nur genial!
    Die Story ist schön aufgebaut, bis auf den Anfang verläuft es schön ruhig und mit diesem Ende hätte ich nit gerechnet. Die Zeichnung von Mario sind wunderschön und fangen die Stimmung der Geschichte sehr gut ein. Freue mich schon auf den zweiten Band.

@Amigo Wird Mario evtl. auch wieder zu Spiel 08 wieder in unseren Landen sein und bei euch signieren?

Edit: Was ich ja noch vergessen habe, ich mag euer neues Albumformat, passt für Redhand besser als euer Standartformat.

AL
    Geändert von Alandor (01.06.2008 um 10:11 Uhr)

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alandor,

prima, dass dir der Band gefällt! Auf der Spiel 08 werden wir leider nicht vertreten sein. Dafür auf der Frankfurter Buchmesse - allerdings ohne Mario.

Ich hoffe, Du kannst dich auch mit unseren anderen neuen Albentiteln anfreunden (Ich bin Legion, Metal ...).

Mitglied Avatar von FIRFIN der Lin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na ja hat mich nicht gerade von Hocker gehauen das Comic. Die Story ist so absolut 0815 mäßig und irgendwie fehlt es ein wenig an Charakterdesign .. und an Atmosphäre
    Glück liegt nicht darin, daß man tut, was man mag, sondern daß man mag, was man tut.

Junior Mitglied
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ich muss mich FIRFIN anschliessen, völlig überzeugt hat mich "Redhand" nicht. Die Story scheint mir relativ dünn, und die Charakterzeichnung bleibt irgendwie verschwommen. So richtig spannend wurde es eigentlich auch nicht. Vielleicht wird es ja im 2. Band besser, mal sehen.
    Grüsse, Tudeh

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Der erste Band setzt mehr auf Atmosphäre und filmische Action denn auf viel Story, das stimmt natürlich. In Band zwei werden neue Charaktere eingeführt und es gibt auch mehr echte "Handlung".

Mitglied Avatar von Mr. Klump
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wie das halt nunmal oft bei dem ersten Album einer neuen Reihe mit einer fortlaufenden Geschichte so ist, stellt auch bei Redhand der erste Band eher eine Art längerer Prolog dar, der hauptsächlich den Protagonisten einführen soll. Da ich mit der Einstellung auch an Redhand herangegangen bin hat mich die zunächst etwas dünne Story nicht weiter gestört. Die Zeichnungen sind schön geworden (das Monster gegen Ende könnte in einem Crossover glatt bei Hellboy vorbeilatschen ) und die Welt ist schön apokalyptisch und düster geworden. Nun hoffe ich nur noch, dass sich mit dem zweiten Band zeigt, dass Redhand "mehr" ist als bisher gezeigt.
    Wenn ich ehrlich bin ging es mir mit Red Star ähnlich, da war die Story im ersten Band auch eher.... "häh?" und mit Band 2 stellte sich der zufriedene "AHA"-Effekt ein.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, nicht direkt was zu REDHAND, aber hier findet ihr ein Gespräch mit REDHAND-Zeichner Alberti zu seiner neuen Marvel-Serie X-MEN/SPIDER-MAN:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=17811

Mitglied Avatar von Milamber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heute Redand 2 gelesen, fand ich wieder sehr gut, was mich allerdings etwas gewundert hat, dass es diesmal kein Zusatzmaterial oder ähnliches gab? Habe mich schon fast damit abgefunden bei CrossCult nach der eigentlichen Story noch tolle Infos lesen zu können.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bei den Albenserien werden wir uns wohl auf Extra-Material bei den jeweils ersten Bänden beschränken - sind ja keine Werkausgaben oder Sammelbände oder sowas - wie die meisten unserer anderen Titel.

Mitglied
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Habe den zweiten Band noch nicht erwerben können, aber... wird es weitere geben? Hatte das Gefühl, dass die Reihe nur auf zwei Ausgaben beschränkt ist.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zumindest ein dritter Band soll noch erscheinen. Band 2 hat aber auch so ein "richtiges" Ende.

Mitglied
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, dann weiß ich bescheid! Danke.

Seite 1 von 3 123 LetzteLetzte